What Are the 7WordWonders TM?
7WordWonders TM Lessons related to “A.D. The Bible Continues,” NBC Epic Series
Here are links to 7WordWonders TM lessons based on the Bible passages that are the focus of the episodes of the “A.D. The Bible Continues” epic series on NBC, 9:00 PM EDT Sunday evenings, April 5 through June 21, 2015. The series focusses especially on the early chapters of Acts of the Apostles. Please encourage others to see episodes of the series—and engage them in the related Bible engagement.
Ø A.D. Episode #1, first broadcast April 5: Matthew 27-28, Jesus’ Resurrection: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vujxfxmijw9rq9j/AD1%20%3D%20Hope.pdf?dl=0
Ø A.D. Episode #2, first broadcast April 12: Acts 1, Wait for It: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ah25ay3jwte02j/AD2%20%3D%20Wait%20for%20It.pdf?dl=0
Ø A.D. Episode #3, first broadcast April 19: Acts 2, Pentecost Empowerment: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wsy9ebdlcdid4fr/AD3%20%3D%20Pentecost%20Power.pdf?dl=0
Ø A.D. Episode #4, first broadcast April 26: Acts 4, What Matters Most: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5yfwy6eipo5o573/AD4%20%3D%20What%20Matters%20Most.pdf?dl=0
Ø A.D. Episode #5, first broadcast May 3: Acts 6 and 7, Stephen Ministers Powerfully: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1rc1ggsews5f1xo/AD5%20%3D%20Stephen.pdf?dl=0
Ø A.D. Episode #6, first broadcast May 10: Acts 8 and 26, Saul Violently Persecutes Believers: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vg5wdmck7nnvz3u/AD6%20%3D%20Saul.pdf?dl=0
Ø A.D. Episode #7, first broadcast May 17: Acts 8, Philip Ministers in Samaria: https://www.dropbox.com/s/44hrrun7g8vzis1/AD7%20%3D%20Philip.pdf?dl=0
Ø A.D. Episode #8, first broadcast May 24: Acts 9, Saul Is Saved: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yigh14ude3nnqef/AD8%20%3D%20Saul%20Saved.pdf?dl=0
Ø A.D. Episode #9, first broadcast May 31: Acts 9, Saul Is Protected: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t6cem77zsghmiqs/AD9%20%3D%20Saul%20Protected.pdf?dl=0
Ø A.D. Episode #10, first broadcast June 7: Acts 8, Ethiopian Is Saved: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yr9m25iud0vi6cy/AD10%20%3D%20Ethiopian%20Saved.pdf?dl=0
Ø A.D. Episode #11, first broadcast June 14: Acts 9, Peter’s Ministry: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xaoloe51biglttu/AD11%20%3D%20Peter%27s%20Ministry.pdf?dl=0
Ø A.D. Episode #12, first broadcast June 21: Acts 10, Cornelius Is Saved: https://www.dropbox.com/s/futene37dsc2tit/AD12%20%3D%20Cornelius%20Is%20Saved.pdf?dl=0
ADDITIONAL sample 7WordWonders TM Lessons
ü Jesus Calms the Storm, Mark 4: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5b32hnf8h331z0s/103%20-%20Mark%204%20-%20Calming%20the%20Storm%20-%207WW.pdf?dl=0
ü Jesus Heals Two Women, Luke 8: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cvuo2dov5xq84lz/104%20-%20Luke%208%20-%20Healing%20a%20Girl%20and%20a%20Woman%20-%207WW.pdf?dl=0
More 7WordWonders TM Down-loadable Resources:
The OVERVIEW of the 7WordWonders TM Curriculum can be downloaded at 7WordWonders.info
Full past episodes of “A.D. The Bible Continues” are available free at http://www.nbc.com/ad-the-bible-continues.
All “A.D. The Bible Continues” episodes are also available for purchase, for you to watch or to share with others at your convenience: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BW3IPEW?ie=UTF8&ref=Dvm_us_js_sl_GCATTVB00BW3IPEW&tag=gcatvodus-20.
Published articles connecting the epic series “A.D. The Bible Continues” and the 7WordWonders TM Curriculum:
1. Can “A.D. The Bible Continues” Lead People to the Best Book for Another Look?: http://www.christianpost.com/news/can-a-d-the-bible-continues-lead-people-to-the-best-book-for-another-look-137243/ (April 12, 2015)
2. Common Core, School Failure, and the Church to the Rescue?: http://www.christianpost.com/news/common-core-school-failure-and-the-church-to-the-rescue-138017/ (April 24, 2015)
3. How to Explore the Bible’s Linguistic Patterns: http://www.christianpost.com/news/how-to-explore-the-bibles-linguistic-patterns-138145/ (April 26, 2015)
4. The Source of A.D.’s Grit and Excitement: http://www.christianpost.com/news/the-source-of-a-d-s-grit-and-excitement-138492/ (May 3, 2015)
5. Why Higher Order Thinking Skills (H.O.T.S.) are Transforming Bible Engagement: http://www.christianpost.com/news/why-higher-order-thinking-skills-are-transforming-bible-engagement-138831/ (May 10, 2015)
6. How to Relish, Reread, Review, Retell and Relive Bible Stories: http://www.christianpost.com/news/how-to-relish-reread-review-retell-and-relive-bible-stories-139488/#u8h0B03rLywUBPVe.99 (May 24, 2015)
7. The Power of Bible Stories to Teach Impartiality: http://www.christianpost.com/news/the-power-of-bible-stories-as-teaching-tools-of-impartiality-139879/ (June 3, 2015)
8. Bringing Fun to Serious Bible Engagement: http://www.christianpost.com/news/bringing-fun-to-serious-bible-engagement-140345/pageall.html (June 16, 2015)
KEY: There are seven ways to engage a text—especially when reading the best book, the Bible.
1. Reading WordWonder = being able to read with understanding. Coaching the reader is fine, and we do it positively, with praise and encouragement. The ability to read is one of the most awesome gifts to give to a child, a youth or an adult. Reading empowers.
2. Comprehension WordWonder = being able to comprehend and put thoughts in one’s own words—that is an important reading wonder for anyone. Even seasoned readers will read a text and then mostly forget what they read. The skills of both comprehension and recollection need to be both developed and reinforced in each of our lives.
3. Vocabulary WordWonder = being familiar with the Word and with words is priceless! There is a reason why reading tests focus especially on vocabulary. IDEA: try starting with this Word-Wonder—get the students to talk about each Key Word, and then ask each student to tell a story or create a sentence using as many of the 10 Key Words as possible. Also, each student can find and circle all the Key Words in the hand-out sheet with the text—either before or after they read it aloud. Let it be fun!
4. Pattern WordWonder = being attentive to the patterns in a text—overt or subtle—helps the reader both (a) to master the depths of meaning in the text and (b) to master more and more of the infinite nuances of language that enhance his or her communications. The key patterns in a Biblical text may be the skilled use of grammatical-structures—such as questions, commands, or vivid adjectives—or subtly repeated thought-structures, ironies, unstated implications, repeated metaphors, and so forth. A focus on pattern-wonders raises word-skills for the student—while giving one more awesome tool for deep engagement with a great text.
5. Development WordWonder = being aware of movement from the first to the last sentence in a text is an essential word-skill. Mastery of the development word-wonder makes a person—adult, youth or child—a better talker, listener and thinker, as well as a more engaged and skilled reader. The text is going somewhere, and it matters that the skilled readers notice.
6. Creative WordWonder = being creatively engaged acknowledges the root fact that language is part of life—never detached. All kinds of creative response—such as short story writing, sculpture, spontaneous role-playing, painting, scripted drama, creative retelling in a contemporary setting, related games, relevant prayers, and such like—are part of the deeper truth that the Word always desires incarnation into matter and energy.
7. Reread-and-Do WordWonder = being engaged in rereading a great text—especially the best text, the Bible—is a truly precious word-wonder. When rereading, please note both (a) what now seems new in the text, and also (b) how the light from the Word in this text should help guide people’s lives and decisions now. Especially right after one of the other 7WordWonders TM has been fully explored, rereading is a new experience. And then if a day or more go by, rereading the same text can be remarkably revealing. The Bible is special. “It is the book you always want to reread,” as one of our teachers explained to her 2nd grade students. They understood.
Hints for using the 7WordWonders TM
1. Take your time. It is OK to explore only one of the 7WordWonders TM in a 15-25 minute period. There are enough questions and activities here for well over 100 minutes of fruitful Bible engagement. Explore different WordWonders different days of the week in personal study or after-school programs, or pick what benefits your group the most in the meeting time you have.
2. Choose your sequence. Since each WordWonder stands on its own, you can explore different progressions. The numerical order is good. Alternatively, you can investigate Vocabulary and then Reading, Comprehension, Creative, Pattern, Development, and Reread-&-Do. Creatively explore other sequences also. The introduction of each WordWonder is important, too.
3. Plan ahead. Invest at least one hour praying and planning which questions you will use in your next teaching session. Select the specific WordWonders and relevant questions that will most effectively and fully (a) engage your students in the Bible text, (b) empower them with language-mastery, and (c) equip them with the Bible’s divine wisdom for life.
4. Have FUN! When you bring a sense of joy, wonder, and fun to exploring together the Bible text, you are far more energized and effective at leading your students as together you explore divine truth in the Bible together. What could be more fun than (a) exploring texts of the best Book, (b) empowering readers and future leaders with amazing word-skills, and (c) endowing children, youth or adults with the Lord’s enlightenment and wisdom for their lives 24/7? The fun you have will be contagious for your students.
Take your time!! It is OK to explore only one of 7WordWonders TM in a
15-25 minute period.
Useful for homes, churches and ministries
1. To engage the Bible via mastering the 7WordWonders TM
2. To teach literacy by fully employing the best book, the Bible
3. To empower for living, through the Word and words.
ü After-school programs = Plan 15 minutes on one of the 7WordWonders TM each day, staying with the same Bible text for the week. Intersperse that learning fun with students doing their homework, and also generously mixing in the wonderful related ResourceWell.org materials.
ü Saturday morning programs = Take 10-15 minutes on each of the 7WordWonders TM interspersed with plenty of the related wonderful ResourceWell.org materials.
ü Christian academies = Use 15 minutes each on one or two of the 7WordWonders TM interspersed with related wonderful ResourceWell.org materials.
ü Neighborhood Bible studies = Select from the 7WordWonders TM with adults, youth, or children. What people read unrelated to school or work improves their reading the most.
ü Summer Vacation Bible School = Utilize about 15 minutes on each of the 7WordWonders TM interspersed with tons of the related ResourceWell.org materials.
ü Revitalized Sunday School—mornings or afternoons = Choose from the 7WordWonders TM interspersed with plenty of the related ResourceWell.org materials. Making literacy and Bible-knowledge the dual purposes renews the original mission of the Sunday School movement about 230 years ago.
For a much more detailed OVERVIEW, please click on 7WordWonders.info
CONTACT the writer: Paul de Vries, PhD, President of the NY Divinity School
email: DrPaul@7WordWonders.com, phone: 347-6-READER
How can you support the 7WordWonders TM?
Please donate at http://www.nydivinityschool.org/cms/content/view/52/89/
Copyright © 2015 Paul de Vries, pauldevries.com. All rights reserved.